Engine Company 4 was formed in 1869 with only 2 men. It was fully formed as a fully staffed company of 12 men in 1870. Engine 4 ran out of the Central Fire Station located on Vine Street. It was named the N.S. Bean after the inventor of the Amoskeag Steam Fire Engine.
Due to the efficiency of motorized fire engines it became unnessary to have 3 engine companies running out of the Central Downtown Firehouse. Engine Company 4 was disbanded from 1952-1988.
Upon the explosive growth in the Hackett Hill Section of the City it became necessary to have a Firehouse in that remote section of the City. Engine Company 4 was reformed and opended in a "tempory" firehouse Sept 19th 1988. They did not recieve permanent quarters until April 9th 2013.
Today Engine Company 4 operates a 2014 E-One Cyclone II 2000gpm pumper made in Florida.
The staffing at Station 4 does not comply with National Standards.